Thursday, August 30, 2018

A Little More About Mind Eater

Hello all.

Me again.

I just finished another chapter on Mind Eater, which leaves me with one more chapter to go before I send it off to the editor. This is awesome. I am so excited to release this one. I've got a feeling of fear and restlessness regarding this one, considering it is so different from the rest of my work. We'll see how it goes, however. Mind Eater is going to be a sci-fi/mystery novel, rather than primarily a horror novel. Don't fret, faithful reader, it will contain elements of psychological horror. In fact, the psychological horror will play a vital role in the story.

Now, I have stepped out of the horror boundaries earlier this year in the form of my poetry collection 'Of Maggots and Horses' but 'Mind Eater' one is going to be fiction, rather than a collection of various poems.

Anyway, I realized something as I almost uploaded a video.... writers are narcissists. We have to be. I guess the same could be said for any creative individual looking to make a living off of their work, but it became really apparent for me personally today.

I hate talking about myself, I really do, but I have to in order to sell books and keep my readers updated. My awkward personality really shows in my videos as well, especially when I start talking about myself. I'm just not an interesting guy, which is bad to say because, in order to sell books, you have to sell yourself in some ways. I mean, that sort of thing works for me when deciding what author I want to try out next, then their work is what keeps me around. People always say that the work is different from the creator, but I disagree. The work usually reflects the creator and if I don't like the creator, how am I going to like the work? Personal opinions are a strange thing indeed.

So my reason for stepping away from horror fiction with 'Mind Eater' is because I enjoy other things, rather than just strictly horror. In fact, sci-fi goes hand and hand with horror because both involve the unknown in some way. However, not only do I want to try something new but I also want to branch out to other readers. Of course, I'll still be bringing some of the elements from my previous work into 'Mind Eater' but, again, it isn't going to be the centerpiece to the story. I'm genuinely enjoying myself writing this story and I hope it resonates with, not only new readers but with you guys as well.

Now some of you may be wondering as to why I haven't released it sooner, considering I've been working on it for a year and a half, and that's because I keep getting sidetracked with other projects of mine; more recently, Heresy was the biggest distraction for me and, even now, I get distracted by updating my social media, blog and writing articles and reviews for websites. You mix that in with maintaining relationships and a full-time job and you get a very small timeframe to work with. This is true because, during the time when I got most work done on Mind Eater, I was lucky to get one status update or tweet out, which in turn made me lose some of my readers and followers. All in all, it's been tough. My ability to balance hasn't been very good.

Oh, before I end this post, I want to mention NaNoWriMo. Yes, I will be involved in that and yes it will still be free and exclusive to my website. I figured that would replace the short-story collection I've talked about, pushing the collection back a few months. I'll talk more about NaNoWriMo more when it gets closer to that time. For now, I'm going to be focusing on Mind Eater and hopefully have it released by the middle of October or, preferrably, earlier.

Anyway, that's all guys.

Stay rotten, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment